Saturday, September 14, 2013

It took 2 years and 1 month...

Dear John,

Well it finally happened and we all thought it would be you first...after 2 years and 1 month of fearless climbing, jumping, sliding, etc. you fell and busted your lip. And now for the story...

It was Friday night and daddy was on his way home from work. It was a beautiful early fall evening and we were all going to walk to the park and play! We wanted to get everyone out of the house and have some fun. Little did we know what out of the house was going to bring.


You and Addie were playing very well in the living room together. You guys were playing with trains and riding Minimus and Mater around the living room. I was in the kitchen looking at something for Addie's upcoming birthday party. All of a sudden, I felt your little hands reach up and touch me. I looked around and all of a sudden you fell flat on your front from standing on top of Minimus. We can talk later as to why you were riding and then standing on top of a pink horse with wheels. I reached down quickly to pick you up and instantly noticed the amount of blood coming from below your lip and then saw it inside your mouth too. I had an instant feeling this was going to be bad. I got a paper cloth and started to wipe away the blood all while soothing you. Addie came in because she was really worried about you. Your crying was like none other. 

I was so proud of your big sister. I asked her to go get my phone because we had to call daddy. She got the phone and the next thing I know she was talking to your daddy. I am not sure if she had figured out how to call him or if I had pressed the right button to call him. Regardless, she was telling daddy that you had hurt your lip and even had thrown up. He said he would be home quickly, because I just knew we would have to take you to the Children's Close to Home urgent care center. I feared stitches where in your future. 

We got cleaned up quickly and off we went. I believe you didn't stop crying the whole 30-40 minutes from accident to arriving at the urgent care center. We got checked in quickly and got to see a nurse and the suture tech pretty fast. After the doc confirmed that you had a through-and-through cut, which means it went all of the way through your lip, we went to the procedure room to have you stitched up.

Tech Wendy put numbing gel on your lower lip/chin and we had to wait 30 minutes. Addie was an all-star while we comforted you. She played a few games and the rooms had large search and finds on the walls that she could look for hidden items. And we just talked as the time passed.

Then it came time for the stitches. We swaddled you up and a sterile cloth was placed over your face. I had to lay across your legs while daddy held your face still under the cloth. After stitch #1, I even had to hold down your escaped hands. Once again you cried, but I don't think you felt anything because your crying did not change when the needle went in and out as Wendy did a great job sewing you back together! 3 stitches in all. 

Your tiny bottom lip started to swell and by the time we got home and ready for bed you had a rather large bottom lip. The inside cut was starting to scab a bit too. By morning, your bottom lip was rather large. And the healing process begins! 

I felt so bad that this injury was on my watch. However, I suppose I am glad that it was versus on Mimi/Grandpa or Julie's. I know they would have felt worse! I know that you are a boy and boys just get hurt. Well we have been initiated into the club. 

I love this post that your daddy's cousin James left us on Facebook:

"Glad he's OK... As an alumni of great non-threatening childhood injuries.. I welcome him to the club. I've fallen from trees and down stairs at 3 or 4. I was dropped by Grandpa Albert while playing toss em up ( my fault for wiggling too much). My favorites were the double black eyes cause by tipping out of a shopping cart I was standing in it and gravel burns from a high speed big wheel attempt and subsequent flip over into said gravel. He now has a cool childhood war story to share. John might need all the gory details from you and Jeff if he doesn't remember though. ;) Give him a hug from me."

Everyone loves you, little man!

Here are a few photos...



No comments: