Thursday, October 15, 2015

Happy birthday Katie the cat!

Dear John,

For the last few weeks you have been extremely interested in calendars. You check off the day every day. You have one that you can count the days off such as one in a learning center at school. You even have one downstairs to the basement to write the date on the chalk board (see earlier post). In October, there have even several special school days, like wear orange, wear Buckeye colors, and Katie's birthday. Katie is the cat animal that teaches cooperation at Primrose. You have been very excited to celebrate her birthday all month since you noticed the special day. Leading up to the special Thursday, you were being a strong, brave little boy and not crying or whimpering when I have dropped you off at school. Unfortunately that has not stopped even though you love school and are fine within minutes of me leaving the room and waving to you from the window. There had been no tears on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. The first two days you earned short peppa pig books. Then we were building up to five straight days of no tears at drop off. On Thursday morning, it was the first morning that you jumped out of the car on your own, walked to the door, keyed in our key code, checked both you and Addie in and then ran down the hallway to drop off Addie. I was quite excited because you had never done this for me in the past. You ran up to Addie's teacher and exclaimed your excitement that it was Katie's birthday! After we dropped Addie off, you wanted to climb onto my back like usual and go to your classroom. As soon as we entered your classroom, you started to cry. And I think I know why and my heart broke for you. In your mind, you believed there would be a HUGE party with balloons, etc. for her birthday. Your big expectations were crushed. Miss. Leighanna tried to help by coming up t you to see if you wanted to make a birthday card for Katie. Unfortunately, our streak of no tears was broken. I was so so very sad for you. As I left you crying, I told you that we would celebrate Katie's birthday that night (I brought home a happy birthday cat balloon and we made apple crisp from all of the apples we picked at Lund's). With all that said, I was still very proud of you for being such a great boy going into school all on your own and I am so sorry about how upset you were. 

I am glad that you love birthdays! And Hsppy Birthday Katie! I wonder how old you are?

No comments: