Wednesday, November 25, 2015

The John song

My Dearest Addie,

A week ago, while we were downstairs in the basement one evening - you playing in your tent, John watching a show on the iPad and me working out on the elliptical machine. On the TV was the Country Music Awards playing and we were just listening to a few of the musicians/bands playing music. Then a song by Keith Urban with the following lyrics in the chorus came on: "I learned everything I ever needed to know from John Cougar, John Deere and John 3:16." You were listening to that music and looked up to me and said, "Mommy, I heard about John 3:16 at Church." I confirmed what you said and then repeated a paraphrase of the Bible verse: God so loved the world that He gave his one and only son; that whosoever believes in him shall have everlasting life. You, so innocently, responded "Mommy, do you believe in Him?" I told you that I sure did and then asked you if you believed in Him too. You said that you did. I was one very happy and proud Mommy in that moment.

Then, a week later, I was in your bedroom starting your bedtime routine since it was my night to read to you and tuck you in. You remembered our earlier conversation, and said "Mommy, we are going to have everlasting life together!" I responded that we sure were and asked if you remembered that saying from last week when we recited John 3:16. You said yes and then followed it up with a question that surprised me. "Mommy, I believe in that other God too." Confused, I asked you, "the other God? Who is that, Addie?" In your sweet little voice, you responded, "You know that one who died on the cross for us." I laughed and smiled at your statement. I then explained to you that God and Jesus were in fact the same person. This is probably a hard concept to understand as a 6 year old; it is a mystery even for a 40 year old!

I loved these two distinct, but related moments. It helped show me that all of the little things that we do in your life make an impact on you, reading the Bible, praying with you, teaching you about Jesus.  My prayer Addie is that you grow up to be a God-fearing young lady who has a strong faith!


I love you so much, and yes, Addie I believe in Him too!

No comments: