Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Duck, duck duck donut!

Dear Addie and John,

It's the 5th day of our vacation already! I can't believe it...the days have flown by. And we have packed them full with lots of fun! I am so glad that John's cold along with a fever today have not kept us down.  This wonderful day started out with a mommy and daughter date. We went just down the street to Duck Donuts. These are famous, made-to-order donuts. Made fresh for you with a large variety of glazes and toppings. We bought a half dozen...Addie, you picked strawberry frosting with rainbow sprinkles for yourself and a cinnamon and sugar one for John to have a bite of. The rest were for mommy, daddy, grandma and pa. It was fun watching our donuts made fresh to order and then hand dipped. We brought them back to the condo, pulled up chairs to our balcony bar and ate them while they were still warm. We were watching the ocean and talking about what we were going to do during the day. And then, we saw the fox! I had heard that there was a fox that roamed the complex at times. I had wondered if we would see it and even had just told you about him on our car ride to the donut store. How appropriate. He was a small fox, but very neat to see. We were still talking about the fox when we saw dolphins jumping in the ocean! We saw at least 5 or 6 dolphins playing in the water. It was just a perfect morning on the balcony. 



I certainly had fun spending time with just you this morning. Daddy and I like spending one on one time with you kids. We think it is special so there will be many more mommy and daughter, mommy and son, daddy and daughter and daddy and son dates in your future for sure!

We then spent the rest of the morning on the beach with grandma and pa. Addie, you played for a while, but ever since you have been in the pool, I think you are just enamored by it and that is all you want to do. You kept telling me that you wanted to go home. I made you stay down on the beach for a while...teaching you that you don't always get what you want, sometimes you have to do what others would like to do. I am sure a hard lesson for a little girl. John, you fell asleep on daddy's shoulder. I think he really liked you taking your morning nap on him.

Finally, I took you Addie to the pool for a bit. You perked up immediately. You just love swimming and jumping in. We went back down to the beach. You sat on a beach chair and we all told crazy Zoe stories. After a while, you convinced daddy to take you to the pool. He did. We all then went up to our place to eat lunch. 

We ended the evening with a short trip to the boardwalk across the street. There a some shops that we walked around, but mostly we just all enjoyed the breeze out on our walk. John, I felt so bad for you because you had a fever for what seemed like much of the evening. But you still had a smile on your face. Addie, we walked down one direction of a pier because you wanted to and daddy and John went in the other direction. There was a family crabbing, and you got to see one of the crabs that they had caught. You were pretty shy with them. We went back and found daddy and John. You told him all about what you saw and wanted to take them back to see it. So we did. When we did, they asked you if you wanted to try crabbing. Guess what, we did! We put a chicken leg on a long string with a hook and tried to catch a crab. After about 15 minutes and no luck catching a crab we thanked them and were on our way. What a fun experience for you. You kept asking if we caught one, would we help you pull up the string and you would say, still a chicken! What a fun day!!

No comments: