Saturday, July 27, 2013

John's Star Wars Room

Dear John,

Your second birthday is coming soon. And it was time to change the nursery into a big boy room. Your room has been the nursery since Addie was born and it has been decorated with zoo animals on the wall, pillows, and blankets since that time. After searching on Pinterest! and flipping through Pottery Barn Kids magazines, your daddy and I settled on a Star Wars theme. I believe we were finally set when we splurged on May the 4th (may the force be with you) Sale at Pottery Barn and bought this:


We were at the Polaris Mall late on May 4th and just were browsing in Pottery Barn Kids. We were the only customers in the store and it was close to closing time. And it was the end of the sale too! We stood in front of this picture questioning whether we should buy it or not. It was more expensive that we were planning on spending. So, we were trying to rationalize the purchase, because that is how we are. When we finally decided to purchase it, the wonderful sales person came over to help us. I loved that she was not pushy at all, especially since we were the only ones in the store at the time. It was at that point, that we learned that it actually had LED lights in it and would light up! To think we were going to make the purchase before we knew that. After that, we were more convinced of the purchase! So, this settled it - you were going to have a Star Wars-themed room. We also bought the Tie-Fighter lego set to build for your dresser! It was fun spending an afternoon while you and your sister napped playing with legos!

I spent the next several weeks looking at paint samples and more web searches. I decided on grey paint with thin white stripes and a navy blue wall with glow-in-the-dark stars. I had also found a few vinyl wall stickers for your room from two different Etsy shops. The plan was cemented when I saw a wall with diagonal stripes painted in bright colors. I thought they would be great in your room as red, green and blue lightsaber swords.

 Here are pictures of your big boy room:
A panorama of your whole room sans the navy wall with the stars


Here is a look at two of the walls opposite the window. On one wall, you can see the grey and white stripes with the J - O - H - N letters painted the same colors as the lightsaber crystals and the navy blue star wall. There are small Star Wars characters sitting and standing on each of the letters. On the shelf above your changing table are the Disney Star Wars figurines that daddy bought you for Christmas. Also, a picture of the angled wall around the door. I tired to place the stars in constellations but that was easier said than done. Especially since you like to remove the stars near the bottom of the wall. I love having the "May the Force Be With You" quote above your door. It just seems fitting as you leave your room!
 


Below is the second wall vinyl that I found on Etsy. I loved the cursive writing and placed this one above your crib/bed. "Do or do not ... there is no try." Master Yoda had it right, John! This is a good quote to live by! I also bought a planet set at Hobby Lobby and made a solar system mobile to hang from your ceiling. The planets are supposed to be glow-in-the-dark too, but they don't seem to glow. Oh well, it still looks neat! Addie likes to think that we painted the big letter "A" on your wall for her! Of course, she was the first to notice that the crossing lightsabers made the letter "A!"

 

And last but not least, I dipped your little hands in blue paint and had you place your hands on the wall behind the door to show how little you were when we created this special "big boy" room for you!


Love you to the moon and back!
Mommy and Daddy!

No comments: